Welcome to Volume 9, Issue 1 of the VOX-Pol Newsletter.
The Accelerationism Research Consortium (ARC) is a cross-sector collaboration of researchers, practitioners, analysts, and journalists who are dedicated to understanding and mitigating the threat posed by accelerationist terrorism. VOX-Pol Researchers feature among the Board of Advisors and ARC Fellows. Find ARC on Twitter @TheARConsortium or check out their website.
TASM CONFERENCE 2022
We are pleased to be supporting the Terrorism and Social Media (TASM) conference which is taking place on 28 and 29 June 2022 at Swansea University, UK. Registration for the conference is open and the schedule is now available online. The keynotes from previous TASM conferences can be seen on the Cyber Threats Research Centre (CYTREC) YouTube channel.
CoJiT PODCAST: SERIES TWO
Coming soon to the second series of the Combatting Jihadi Terror (CoJiT) Podcast hosted by Dr. Anthony Richards, is VOX-Pol Coordinator Professor Maura Conway. The episode will cover topics such as the usefulness of the term ‘cyberterrorism’ and issues raised in Maura’s VOX-Pol Blog post We Need a ‘Visual Turn’ in Violent Online Extremism Research and free-to-access article Determining the Role of the Internet in Violent Extremism and Terrorism: Six Suggestions for Progressing Research. In the meantime, check out all the episodes in the CoJiT podcast’s first series HERE.
IN THE MEDIA
- What is extremism? Does it include far-left? Far-right? Choosing a definition is fraught, USA Today News, 1 March 2022.
- Altercation: Social Media and White Supremacist Terrorism, The American Prospect, 25 February 2022.
- Why Far-Right Infiltration of the Military Is a Problem Across the West, Vice, 18 February 2022.
- Cultivating conspiracy: how Boris Johnson amplified the far right, The Guardian, 8 February 2022.
- “The Turner Diaries” and Pulp Fascism, LA Review of Books, 5 February 2022.
- Oath Keepers leader indictment just the tip of a scary iceberg, NBC News, 17 January 2022.