12-month fixed-term contract
The VOX-Pol Research Fellowship Programme recruits promising researchers in the area of Violent Online Political Extremism, trains them in related research and analysis, and mentors them in delivering excellent completed projects.
We are seeking innovative research proposals in the area of Violent Online Political Extremism. In particular, we encourage applications focusing on, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Linguistic analysis of online threats to discriminate signal from noise;
- Social media policy and practice of extremist content removal and filtering online;
- Ethics of monitoring extremist content online;
- Online radicalisation of school shooters, public shooters and grievance fueled violence;
- Right-wing nationalism and white-supremacists online;
- Comparison of IS-related online activity with that of other violent jihadi online activity.
- Submit a research proposal in the area of Violent Online Political Extremism, which should go beyond state-of-the-art, and show excellent methodological skills and theoretical knowledge of the field.
- Have obtained a PhD (or be close to completion by the date of commencement) or hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and 5+ years relevant professional experience in a relevant profession/institution (e.g. law enforcement, intelligence analysis, think tank, Internet company) or an MA in a relevant area and 3+ years relevant professional experience in a relevant profession/institution (e.g. law enforcement, intelligence analysis, think tank, Internet company). Applicants should have research/professional experience in either the area of the Internet or violent political extremism, but ideally both.
The Research Fellow will be hosted and mentored by either one or two VOX-Pol partner institutions for twelve months in total. The Fellowship may also include a short stay at an associated end-user of VOX-Pol (details upon request). The provisional commencement date for the Fellowship is October 2017.
This is an EU-funded position. The gross Fellowship salary will be €37,750 per annum, payable via Dublin City University (the VOX-Pol Coordinator), and therefore subject to Dublin City University conditions, Irish taxation, Irish social insurance, public-service pension, etc. Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer.
For further details:
- About VOX-Pol, see https://www.voxpol.eu/
- Potential topic/partner supervision, please see https://www.voxpol.eu/download/Partner-Competencies-Contact-Details.pdf
- Further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should include:
- A cover letter specifying how you meet the requirements of the position, which host institution(s) you are interested in, and a justification for your choice(s);
- A 5 to 10 page research proposal (incl. theoretical and methodological considerations);
- A current CV;
- A list of publications, or a 20+ page single-authored writing sample; Details of three professional referees.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, May 10, 2017
For more information on this and other opportunities please visit https://www.voxpol.eu/opportunities